Health & Emergencies

Are you a Lewis School student?

Doctors & Dentists

If you need a doctor or a dentist, your host family will make an appointment for you with their doctor. If you are not staying with a host family, there is a ‘Walk-In Centre’ and a minor injuries unit where you can go for advice or to see a medical practitioner. Go to our Reception more information.


If it is an emergency, go straight to hospital by taxi – or ambulance if necessary (dial 999 and ask for an ambulance; you do not pay for this call).

Minor Problems

Do not go to the hospital for minor health problems such as colds and sore throats. Pharmacies can help with these problems. If you have a minor accident at the school, there is a first aid box in Reception. Suzie, Alistair and several other members of staff are qualified to give first aid.


We can help you to find a nearby optician. Ask at Reception.

Emergency telephone numbers in the UK

Emergency Services

In an emergency, dial 999 and ask for the Police, Ambulance or Fire Services. You do not pay for this call.
Other local Police numbers:
Dial 101 for non-emergency incidents
Dial 0845 454545 for general enquiries

National Health Service (NHS)

NHS 111 (24-hour service giving advice over the phone) – Call 111 for non-emergency medical advice
NHS Website (health advice)
NHS Walk-In Centres in Southampton
All Walk-In Centres are open 7 days a week from 8am until 9.30pm

  • Bitterne: Bitterne Health Centre, Commercial St., Bitterne, Southampton SO18 6BT.
    Tel. 023 8042 6356
  • Central Southampton:  (For minor injuries only) Fanshawe Wing, Royal South Hants Hospital, Graham Rd., Southampton SO14 0YG. Tel. 023 80716539

Dental Helpline (for emergencies) 023 8033 8336

The National Health Service

The National Health Service (NHS) is the UK’s state health service which provides treatment for UK residents through a wide range of health care services.
Some services are free, and some you will have to pay for e.g. prescription charges.

Am I Entitled to NHS Treatment?Healthcare & Insurance

Insurance Cover

We strongly recommend that you have comprehensive insurance to cover you in case of accident or emergency. International students may be charged high fees for NHS services – see below. The Lewis School can arrange insurance cover for you. For fees and more information, visit

National Health Service (NHS)

The NHS is the UK’s publicly funded healthcare system. As an overseas visitor, you may be charged for NHS services, and these fees can be very high. Treatment in Accident & Emergency departments and at GP surgeries (a GP is a doctor who provides general medical treatment for people who live in the local area) is free for everyone, however.

Students on a Short-term Study Visa: If you are studying in the UK for more than 6 months and require a Short-term Study Visa, you will need to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge as part of your visa application. This will enable you to use the NHS during your stay in the UK.

EU/EEA Students: If you are visiting from the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, bring your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) if you are eligible to continue using it in the UK. This will enable you to get free NHS treatment. Certain restrictions apply – for full details, visit

After You Arrive

If you arrange your own accommodation or are staying in our residence, we recommend that you register with a GP. If you come to Reception, we can give you a list of doctors’ surgeries in your area. If you are in a homestay and need to see a doctor, ask your host to take you to their GP.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



you can now send us a message on WhatsApp !