Studying English in the UK is a wonderful experience, but we understand you may have questions or concerns about Covid-19. Here’s what we’re doing to keep you safe during your stay.
• You’ll see social distancing signs and marking throughout the school.
• Everyone must keep a distance of 1m+ at all times.
• We have a one-way system in parts of the school. Follow the arrows!
• In class, all students sit 1m+ apart. Furniture is arranged to make distancing easier.
• Some classes may begin 30 minutes earlier or later than the normal timetable, to help with social
• To avoid sharing paper, we ask students to bring a laptop/device to class.
• Masks must be worn everywhere in the school building
(they are not required in the garden).
• Our reception staff wear visors.
• All students and staff will be required to get a routine twice-weekly test using a home test kit.
This usually involves rubbing a long cotton bud (swab) over your tonsils and inside your nose. It is quick painless self-administered procedure which helps to identify those people who do not have symptoms but can still infect others. The tests can give you a result in 30 minutes.
(You can find out more about this test here and watch a how-to video here).
• Hand sanitiser is available throughout the school.
• All classroom surfaces such as table tops and chairs are sanitised at the end of each lesson.
• Surfaces in reception and common areas are sanitised throughout the day.
• We arrange a regular deep clean to make the school as safe and hygienic as possible.
• We follow government guidelines closely and will inform you of any important changes.
• You’ll have a single room (not a shared room). The only exception is if two students who live together in their home country request a shared room.
• Your homestay is risk assessed for Covid safety before we place you. We also ask you to complete a risk declaration. Together, this helps to ensure the safety of both you and your host.
• Our hosts receive detailed information about Covid safety procedures, and our Homestay Officer personally discusses these with each host; so you can be sure of a safe home environment.
• You’ll have an en-suite room. Our residence partners have also increased the frequency of cleaning. Common rooms are closed to help with social distancing.
Currently, students arriving from certain countries are required to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival. We can provide a suitable homestay for this.
• There are special procedures which we’ll inform you of before you arrive. For example, you’ll need to minimise contact with your host and take all meals in your bedroom.
• We’ll do our best to provide you with a separate bathroom. If this is not possible, your host will clean the bathroom more frequently and you will be asked to wipe down taps and surfaces after use.
• You can attend online classes during your self-isolation period.
• If you need to self-isolate, don’t worry – we’re here for you! We’ll provide you with information and guidance. This includes practical advice on what to do if you feel unwell, as well as advice on where to order food deliveries. We can also arrange for your English lessons to be online.
• If you have to self-isolate during your course, we’ll treat this in the same way as a holiday. Therefore, you can make up the time at the end of your course or you can add afternoon classes. If there is no suitable level available, we’ll convert your credit to 1:1 lessons, but please note you will have fewer hours.
Updated 6 May 2021